We are delighted to announce that four of our faculty members have been invited to speak at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) to be held in Seoul, Korea in 2014.
- Professor Jim Arthur has been invited to give a plenary lecture
- Professor Balint Virag has been invited to speak in the Special Section on Probability and Statistics
- Professors Robert Jerrard and Robert McCann have been invited to speak in the Special Section on Partial Differential Equations
Being invited to speak at the ICM is often regarded as one of the highest honours that a mathematician can receive. It is a truly international recognition of the depth and ground breaking impact of their research.
In addition, two graduates of our doctoral program have been invited to speak as well.
- Professor Izabella Laba received her Ph.D. under the direction of Professor Michael Sigal and will be speaking in the Special Section on Analysis and its Applications.
- Professor Ilijas Farah received his Ph.D. under the direction of Professor Stevo Todorcevic and will be speaking in the Special Section on Logic and Foundations.
They are now faculty members at UBC and York University respectively.
Our congratulations to all the speakers!