Deadlines: Sept. 30th – Online application opens
Oct. 11th – Online application closes
Oct. 18th – Last day for Supervisors to complete approval
Value/Duration: Grant value varies (based on registration fee & location of event)
Level of study: Full-time Master’s and Doctoral students
Required Legal Status: Domestic or International
Results: Mid-November 2013 (via U of T email address as recorded on ROSI at the time of application)
The SGS Conference Grant provides modest financial support to eligible students who will be actively-presenting their research at an academic conference. Applicants need not have received confirmation of participation in the conference at the time of application. This grant is not intended to be a principal source of funding but serves to reimburse students for some basic expenses. Applicants are expected to seek funding from various sources to supplement their travel and other related expenses.
Required Eligibility: (revised fall 2013)
· be actively presenting their research (relevant to their current degree program) at an academic conference that occurs between Sept. 1, 2013 – March 31, 2014
· be registered full-time in a graduate degree program (Master’s or Doctoral) at the time of: 1) application, 2) conference presentation and 3) collecting the reimbursement
Priority is given to students who are in the early stages of their academic career and who have not previously received an SGS Conference Grant while enrolled in their current program.
** Effective the Fall 2014 competition, SGS Conference Grants will be limited to one per graduate degree.
The SGS Conference Grant online application will be open to students on Monday September 30th via the SGS Website. Students must apply as an individual for a grant in support of one conference. To complete the online application, applicants will be required to provide the following information:
· Supervisor/Advisor’s email-address
· Details of the academic conference (i.e. title, location, registration-fee at the student-rate, website-address)
· Details regarding the presentation of research (i.e. title, first-author)
· Number of previous conferences attended during the applicant’s current degree program
· Potential other sources of funding that may be available to support the travel/other related expenses (for information purposes only)
Tip: prior to completing an application students are encouraged to:
· Inquire with your graduate unit if you do not currently have a Supervisor/Advisor for assistance in identifying an appropriate faculty member who can fulfill this role for the approval process
· Notify your Supervisor/Advisor that you are submitting an SGS Conference Grant application which will require their approval
· Confirm the correct email address of your Supervisor/Advisor or faculty designate
Successful applicants will be required to submit the following 3 documents to receive reimbursement; any additional requirements will be detailed in the letter of offer.
1. Proof of conference attendance and active-participation (copy of, or URL to online conference programme identifying applicant as a presenter)
2. Receipt/invoice issued by the conference organizer showing paid registration-fee (must show payment received)
3. Completed Payment Activation Form (accessible from the SGS Website)
Contact Information and Resources:
See the SGS Website for additional information and FAQs
Please direct any inquiries to Tara Lock at firstname.lastname@example.org.